Tuesday, February 19, 2008

You Are My Sunshine

Vessel is going to be turning 16 months in about a week. Every month brings something new. About a month ago he learned how to unscrew the lightbulbs in the lamp on one of the end tables. Now he's figured out how to "plug" things into the outlets. He hasn't gotten electrocuted yet, so that's a positive thing, right? I don't know how much the little outlet stoppers would work at this point, because he could probably just pull them out if he tried hard enough. *sigh*

Since there have been a few days this month that have been sunny and somewhat warm, we've been playing outside in the afternoons when Mike goes to class. He loves exploring all around the complex and never wants to go inside. I can't wait to have a yard of our own for him to run around in! It will also be so fun to go for walks and play at the park this summer.

Vessel has been speaking more and more. A lot of what he says is still very unrecognizable, but there are some words that he knows for sure. They include: jump, book, kiss, Bob (his pillow,) head, boo (as in "peek-a-boo,") mom, dad, bottle, uh-oh, bye, no, car, shoes (pronounced "shjewz,") ball, nose, (although he says it in a whisper and backwards so it sounds like "tah.") If I say "jump!" he'll do a little boppin' bouncy thing with his legs because he can't quite jump up with both legs in the air yet. He loves to pull books out of the bookshelf and says "book" as he's doing it. If I ask him to give me a kiss he'll come toward me with a gaping mouth and plant his lips on me while saying "mmmm-aw!" His favorite "toy" is his lovey, a Spongebob Squarepants pillow. Those two are like Linus and his blanket. He loves to hide under pillows or in the closet and come out and say "boo!" When he drops something or falls down he'll say "uh-oh," only with a long, drawn out "oh." He says and waves "bye," even though sometimes it's a delayed reaction. Mike will sometimes leave the house and a minute later Vessel will look at the door, wave and say "bye." He says "no" a lot, which is pretty unfortunate because he got it from us saying it so much. He knows what not to touch, and he'll point and say "no." Sometimes he'll continue playing with something he knows he's not allowed to all the while saying, "no, no, no, no." If I ask him where my nose is he'll touch it. If I ask him to go get his shoes he will (if he remembers where they are.) He also thinks socks are shoes. Anything you put on your feet I guess. He knows that candles are hot, and so are pancakes. Sometimes during Saturday breakfast I'll put a little pancake on his tray and even if it's cool he'll rest his hand slightly above it and say "tah tah" meaning it's hot. It is so cute to listen to him and try to figure out what he's saying.

Vessel pretty much mimics every thing we say and do. After watching us do something we'll usually find him trying to do it himself later on. A few days ago he had a runny nose so I used the "snot sucker" to clear out his nostrils. The next time he saw the suction bulb he took it and put it up his nose. He also put some vapor rub all over his nose because he remembers me putting it just above his upper lip to help him breath better at night. If I put lotion or bathwash in my hand he'll dip his fingers in and then rub it all over his tummy because that's what we do to him. He also likes to mimic us by putting his toy phone up to his head. It's crazy seeing all the stuff he's catching onto just by observing and listening to us.

He loves to stack things, especially a set of plastic cups that fit into each other and stack together. He has figured out how to cup them in order from biggest to smallest. He also LOVES to draw and scribble all over paper, his legs, and toys, although I'd prefer it if he stuck to paper only.

He's always finding something new to get into. The other day Mike told me he learned how to pull open the dryer and put a jar of peanut butter in there. Luckily our dryer doesn't turn back on when you shut the door like some dryers do!

Vessel's got 12 teeth now, and luckily the last 2 molars he cut didn't really give him much of a problem like the first 2 did. He's looking a lot more grown up lately. He is just a handsome little boy. Whenever I take him out people will come up to me and tell me how cute he is. And he's such a flirt. He was smiling and babbling at these 2 little young ladies when we went to the grocery store over the weekend. He loves attention, but I suppose most kids do.
It just seems like there are so many things to tell about Vessie these days, but I think I'll have to wrap it up here, as I've got to go feed him dinner right now. Hope you enjoyed the update! Here are some recent pictures. He found my little bindis and begged me to give him one, so I did.

Our little bindi baby.




No comments: