Thursday, February 7, 2008

No More Television

Last night I brought up to Mike that I don't want to watch television anymore. It is a waste of time and it just distracts me from doing important stuff like homework or playing with Vessel. I hate it! Sometimes I turn it on during the day just for background noise so I don't feel so alone when Mike is at school or work. But really, it's starting to bug the crap out of me. Plus, I don't want Vessel picking up any of the stuff he sees or hears. There is rarely anything positive or uplifting on anymore. It's always sordid comedies, television tabloid crap, who's doing who, what so-called important celebrity said or did, and distasteful shows that strive to tear people down and make fun of them. Sure, I admit I've actually laughed at some of those shows before. But I'm starting to see what a negative impact it has on me. Okay, so some of you might think I'm coming across as "holier than thou" or starchy (whatever that means.) I just don't want Vessel to be exposed to all that negative junk. I especially don't want him to become a couch potato later in life so I want to set a good example now. Yeah, as he gets older he might think I'm just a stuffy, restricting mama, but oh well. What do you other moms think? Am I just overreacting or is television the devil?

6 comments:

Karen said...

I don't blame you for wanting to eliminate the television-watching. You could say that Dave and I have done the same thing, more or less... the television doesn't control us and we have no "schedule" of shows that we must watch religiously. We watch movies together, and once or twice a week I'll turn the t.v. on for background noise for 30-45 minutes, but that's it. We aren't doing it to be snobby...it's mostly that we don't have time for it. It gives me a headache, anyway. And people really turn into zombies as soon as that screen turns on. So good for you!

J said...

thanks for your comment karen! i used to have a "set schedule" right after vessel was born and mike was at class and work all day. when i sat down to nurse vessel (which seemed to take up most of my day) i'd flip it on and whenever he took a nap i'd flip it on to keep me company. it can be very addicting. the computer can be the same way to some people. i can see what you mean about being zombified. it feels liberating to finally come to this point and decide not to be a slave to the tv. i haven't had the urge to turn it on all day. i'd almost get rid of it completely, if it wasn't for the fact that we watch movies on it like you guys do. hey, by the way, i never thought you were snobby!

RAZ said...

I don't watch TV much, and I don't really feel like I'm missing much. But I do have a hard time tearing myself away from the interwebz. I think TV and the internet contribute to a shortened attention span and reduced use of the imagination.

Rebekah said...

I usually only watch television during the week, and I'm generally doing something like eating dinner or crocheting or something. I work for at least ten hours four days a week, and when I get home, I don't want to do anything. So the tv comes on. It's sad, I know. But I rarely watch television (well, except for season sets of the Office) on my days off. I often forget it exists. Anyway, on to your question, I don't think it's a bad idea to ward off television. I think it's pretty creepy how tv has the power to immobilize children where they stand, reducing them to a wobbly pile of chubby drool. Kid shows? Maybe most are educational, but I still think it's creepy that my neices become positively glued to them.

Sheldon said...

I think TV is the best thing ever. I am going to use it to baby sit my child when every the wife is out. They're are so many great things on television. ESPN, Food Network, TRU TV, NBC, ABC, FOX. So many channels so little time to get it all in. I wish we had 36 hours in a day so I have more time to watch all my favorite shows. I want to thank Philo Farnsworth for his part for making this magical box come to life. I am also thankful for the invention of the DVR.

Anonymous said...

frankly I could live happily with no tv whatsoever. If we are going to watch something I would rather it be a movie we like and know to be appropriate. Sadly, however, I am not the authority on the tv issue, although I have seriously considered dropping the dish althogether for awhile. It is on way too much here, and because of it there is way too little meaningful family time. There is also the ever present - and ever worsening issue of the language, sex, and violence that it seems the directors have to base so mamy shows around, instead of basing it around a worthwhile story. Comedy today seems to be simply people being crude, rude and crass instead of funny - why expose ourseves to that? Now, that said, there are many worthwhile family programs, and kids educational shows that are worthy of watching and actually help grow brain cells instead of destroy them... but to have it on just to have it on - no thanks - I usually leave the room if I am not interested... which is most of the time.
love ya Jamie!
Gramma Rose