Monday, February 25, 2008

Movies

Across the Universe












So, I finally watched this movie last week and I'll give it an A-. I liked the idea of incorporating Beatles songs into the story. It seems like the movie was created around those songs rather than the songs based around the story. One of the reasons is because all of the characters names are associated with Beatles songs. (Jude, Lucy, Prudence.) But there are several Beatles references throughout the movie besides the songs.
The story takes place in the 1960's. It is a story of love and war, music and freedom of expression, drugs, riots, and civil rights. I liked the entire movie, even the trippy parts such as the circus scene with the blue people and the water scene. Oh, and I kept trying to figure out if Prudence (played by T.V. Carpio) was a lesbian. Any thoughts? But I ABSOLUTELY loved it when she sang "I want to hold your hand." It is one of my favorite songs on the soundtrack and she has such a beautiful voice. If you like movies like Moulin Rouge, Romeo and Juliet, or Pink Floyd's "The Wall" then you'll probably like this movie. If nothing else, the music was good, so go buy the soundtrack.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this was a very trippy movie. Just to respond to your question, yes I figured that Prudence was a lesbian. I agree, she had a great voice. I also liked when Lucy sang "If I Fell." I don't know why, but it sounded hauntingly beautiful to me.

Anonymous said...

I want to see this movie because I love the Beatles, even their trippy stuff (like the Yellow Submarine movie). I heard from the critics that is was horrible but from everyone I've talk to that has seen it, they've loved it. I think one critic said the movie raped the music or something to that effect. Glad you liked it!