Thursday, February 7, 2008

O.........Mai........Gash

Tonight before I left for a business dinner I mentioned to Jamie and Amanda that I don't really go for "fancy" food. In fact, it usually ends up being really expensive crap that tastes worse than a flip'n frozen pizza. Now that I'm back.............I have to abandon my previous standpoint .

A couple of our brokers from a certain investment bank flew into Salt Lake to schmooze us tonight, so we all went to a nice restaurant by the name of Tiburon in Sandy. I was pretty nervous about it all day, because I saw from the menu that they were a "fancy" place, but I have to say that it was possibly the BEST MEAL OF MY LIFE! Here's what I ate:

Appetizers included freshly made lobster and crab cakes, chicken polenta, and a few fancy soft cheese dealios. Pretty good start, I thought.

Next, we were brought out a salad that I was skeptical of when I first saw it: spring mix with a slice of fancy cheese on top, a sweet spicy vinaigrette dressing, topped off with roasted pumpkin seeds. Ya, it ended up being the best dinner salad of my life!

After a cup of fresh raspberry and lemon sorbet to "cleanse my palette," my entree came out: a filet mignon topped with foie gras (a soft, delicate liver from a goose that was force-fed through a tube for the last four or five months of its life). It was AMAZING! I feel bad about the goose, but this was the best steak ever made! It was so soft and flavorful that I let every bite of it sit and melt in my mouth for a minute or so--something I wouldn't do with a normal steak, let me tell ya.

For dessert, I was brought this big goblet full of dark Belgian chocolate mousse, topped with toasted almonds, blueberries, raspberries, a cherry, a strawberry, a slice of kiwi, and more dark chocolate shavings. It was so beautiful that I felt kind of bad about destroying it, but wadayagonado?

Anyhoo, that's my story of the bestest meal ever. The tab ended up at about $65.00 per person, and with 13 people in our party, I was glad I was one of the schmoozees, rather than a schmoozer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WAIT WAIT WAIT.... Best meal of your life? What aboout Rodizio Grill? Come On? Take a while.... sit down and think about it...

J said...

babe, it was all good until you mentioned the goose liver.

Tracy said...

Goose liver can ruin any meal. See, "fancy" places are actually a lot of fun.

Rebekah said...

I love food so much. I'm drooling. I've always hated the sound of foie gras, but I would totally try it on top of filet mignon. Dang it, I'm so hungry!