Sunday, February 3, 2008

The History Behind the Mike and Jamie Duo

There have been a few tags going around so I thought I'd join the fun. I'm going to combine a couple of them instead of making individual posts. If any of you read these, post the same thing on your blog!

1. Where did you meet your husband? Mike and I met while attending Ricks College (now BYU-Idaho.) It was a rainy Sunday evening and I decided to go to ward prayer for the first time in a long time. Mike, who lived in the apartments across from Arbor Cove, came with his roommates. Coincidentally, going to ward prayer was the first time in a long time for him as well. I really believe something told both of us to go to ward prayer that night. Otherwise we probably would have never met.

2. What was the first thing said? So I was sitting in the Arbor Cove lounge on one of the couches. Ironically, I was next to this guy I was dating at the time. He was on one end and I was sitting in the middle so there was a place to sit on the other end of the couch. Mike came over to me and asked, "Can I sit here?" I ended up talking more with him than the guy I was with.

3. What was your first date? We drove my Mustang to Idaho Falls so I could purchase the latest Radiohead album. Then we drove clear in the heck out into the boonies to this place called BJ's Bayou. Mike ordered alligator and then we sat there and marveled at the ridiculously gaudy New Orleans decor. Later that evening we stopped at my cousin's birthday party and had cake and ice cream.

4. How long did you date? 3 months before his mission, and then about 1 month after his mission.

5. First kiss? It was a week after we first met. We had been talking at his apartment for quite some time. It was getting late and we knew we'd get written up for breaking curfew if we got caught, so we decided to book it out of there. On our way out, we stopped in the hallway of his apartment for a minute. And then I pretty much just attacked him. He didn't mind.

6. Where did you get engaged? Mike asked me to come over to his place after my shift ended at work because there was something he wanted to talk to me about. When I showed up, there were a bunch of girls over just chillin' with him and his roommates. I was kind of bothered by it. Mike asked me if I wanted to take a walk so we could have some privacy to talk. I had a feeling he was going to officially ask me that night. Because he suggested we take a walk, I expected that he was going to take me to some special place to propose. I asked him what he wanted to talk about. And then he said some really trivial thing, and I thought, "You wanted to have a serious conversation about this?" I was anticipating something big, but it didn't happen. We walked through the park and a few blocks down from his apartment. The whole time I was waiting for him to pop the question. I was getting frustrated thinking it wasn't going to happen because he was too scared to ask me or something. I was annoyed because we had been walking for what seemed like forever, and I was in a dress and high heels since I just got off work. It was a cold night and my feet were killing me. Finally, Mike decided it would be best to go back. So I was going to drive home but Mike told me to come up to his apartment for a minute. When we got up there, the enter place was draped in white sheets. Norah Jones was softly playing on the CD player and there was a table set up draped in white with a bottle of virgin champagne in a bowl of ice, two goblets, a single red rose, and a ring box. Candles were lit all over the room casting a heavenly glow on the white sheet background. He asked me to look in the ring box. When I opened it, it was some cheap fake ring and I about threw it at him! Then he pulled the real ring out of his pocket and knelt down and asked me to be his wife. We danced and drank the sparkling cider completely alone. Then I realized that all those girls were over at the apartment earlier to help decorate the place while Mike used our little walk as a diversion.

7. When did you know you loved each other? We fell in love with each other really quickly. I remember the first time we admitted it to each other. It was late and we had just "broken into" the hotel swimming pool across the street. We were always doing crazy stuff like that. So we jumped in with all our clothes on and then ran back to my apartment. We were standing there in my room soaking wet, hair dripping, just laughing. Then Mike said he should leave, but before he left I softly said I wanted to tell him something in all seriousness. He knew what I was going to say and it turns out he wanted to tell me the same thing.

8. What does your ring look like? This is a weird story. Before my mom passed away, I was talking to her on the phone one afternoon. I had known Mike for a little over a month at this point. My mom mentioned that she had a really vivid dream about me the night before. The dream was that I had gotten married and my husband had blonde hair and blue eyes. She talked about the details of the wedding, but more particularly she talked about my wedding ring. She said the center stone was a ruby with diamonds on each side. I thought it was interesting, and then I forgot all about the dream. Nearly 2 1/2 years later, Mike and I got engaged. I told him I didn't want a diamond, but instead I wanted a blue sapphire. I had read sometime earlier that sapphires represent honesty and fidelity. Though a diamond represents everlasting love, I felt like a sapphire was more fitting and I didn't want something "traditional." Mike got my ring custom made and I didn't know what it looked like until he slipped it on my finger the night of our engagement. So it's a simple ring. A platinum band with a bright blue sapphire stone in a tension setting with two diamonds on each side. My mom's dream was almost right...I've got a blonde haired, blue eyed husband and though the stone in my ring isn't a ruby, rubies are actually in the same gem family as sapphires. So close enough.

8. Where did you get married? Idaho Falls LDS temple.

9. How did the reception go? Hmmm...it was okay I guess. Since the church house was free of charge, we ended up having it there in the cultural hall/gymnasium. I thought everything looked beautiful...excpet the basketball hoops. I liked our backdrop and since we got married before Christmas, we had some decorated Christmas trees and my bouquet was made of all white roses to kind of look like a giant snowball. The one thing I didn't like was the food we ended up having and I was actually quite embarrassed about serving it to our guests, but we didnt' have anything else. Oh, and I wish we didn't have to stand in line and all that junk. Mike and I wanted to have a big dance party but figured nobody else would be into that. We originally planned on having a non-traditional reception. But since we were low on $$ and family members were helping us plan everything, we ended up just doing the standard thing. Everyone helped so much though, and I appreciated everything my family did for me!

10. Where did you go on your honeymoon? We drove to Pocatello that night and stayed in the pirate themed room at the Black Swan Inn. Then we drove to Utah the next day to go to our open house at Mike's parents' home.

11. Do you have pet-names for each other? I have called Mike "babe" practically since the day we met. He calls me "dove" or "my dove" and sometimes he'll call me "beautiful" or "my love."

12. What’s your favorite thing to do together? Back in the day we were pretty wild and did lots of crazy stuff that may or may not have been classified as criminal activity. We have mellowed out a bunch since then, or maybe we're just more mature now. Plus we have a kid, and that limits us to some of the things we can do. For the most part we just like to joke around with each other, play video games, watch movies, snowboard, take walks, try new restaurants, and pretty much anything that is fun and freakin' sweet. Oh, and we like to...ya know....

13. Do you show affection in public? Yeah, we're not afraid to hold hands or kiss in front of other people.

14. Do you have a song? There are lots of songs that remind me of Mike. But I think the closest thing to our song is called Annie's song by John Denver. I try not to think of Annie when I hear it though.

15. 5 top places/things I want to see or see again: 1. India 2. Africa 3. Southern California like Disneyland or the beach 4. Ireland 5. I'd also like to visit Japan again.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

How sweet! I didn't know a lot of that.