Thursday, March 3, 2011

Day 3

Day 3-A habit that you wish you didn't have

Now we're getting into the really deep and personal stuff, eh? You want to know some of my flaws? Well, I have plenty to share. Yes, plenty of horrible habits I wish I didn't have. But for this post I am only supposed to talk about one. (Phew)
One of my biggest habits is procrastination. Instead of just getting things done right away, I put things off, sometimes for days or weeks. And then when the deadline is fast approaching I frantically scramble to complete whatever it is that I put off. I think I work well under pressure, but I don't necessarily like all the stress it creates. I waste A LOT of time. More often than not, if I've got free time, I don't use it productively. And I always feel like I'm slow. And I don't mean stupid, I mean slow at getting things done. The dishes can take an hour. Ironing takes 1-2 hours. Sometimes I don't even switch out the laundry because I just put it off until it's the end of the day and then I realize I still have wet clothes sitting in the washer. Preparing a lesson for church can take several hours or days. Reading a book can take weeks or months for me. I get really annoyed with myself. I want to break this habit and be able to prioritize better so that the most important things get done first. Not only that, they get done promptly. I want to manage my time more effectively and stop procrastinating and just be faster at completing my goals. But how do I go about doing this?

1 comment:

Edward Stuart said...

If you find a way to over this one, please share with the rest of us. I think that some of us actually thrive on stress or the feeling that comes with it when you press forward to get something done and you succeed...that feeling can be addicting. The bad part is what comes when you have time to realize what you did and you come to find that you didn't have to do it that way and thus you are frustrated since you (and I) have wasted all that time.