Friday, November 16, 2007

Relationship to Food

So as I was browsing my SIL Karen's blog, I saw she had a post with 10 weird facts about her relationship with food. She didn't tag me by name, but she said if anyone reads it to do it. And I'm not one to pass up the opportunity to talk all about myself, so here ya go. :) I tag Mike, Tracy, Gavin, Bekah, Chris, Annika, Carrol, cousin Tracie, and Shelly-Chelle.

1. I love getting food samples at the grocery store. One afternoon I went to Harmon's and practically ate lunch there from the multitude of sample stations set up all over the store. And, because I'm pathetic, I'll usually go back and get another sample when the server's not looking.

2. I love to munch on crunchy food. When I want a snack I usually go for something crunchy. Like banana chips, apple chips, potato chips, tortilla chips (hey, I like chips,) cereal, vanilla wafers, goldfish crackers, Milano cookies, toffee, carrot sticks, etc. Even when I eat ice cream (my all time favorite food) it's much better for me if it's got something crunchy in it or if it's in one of those crunchy waffle bowls or a sugar cone.

3. Lumps in food gross me out. Who likes lumpy gravy or lumpy pudding, or lumpy anything for that matter?

4. I am desperate to try some chocolate covered bacon. Salty and sweet....what a great combo!

5. I hate to cook. I can do it, and when I do it usually turns out fine, but it's not my favorite thing in the world.

6. Even though I hate cooking, I enjoy watching cooking shows. I'm really starting to like Nigella Lawson. Maybe it's because she likes chocolate covered bacon. :)

7. So once in awhile if I have nothing else to do on Wednesday night I'll watch "Kitchen Nightmares" while Mike is at class. Let me tell ya, that show seriously makes me reconsider eating out at ANY restaurant.

8. This week I watched "Criminal Minds" and it was about the detectives honing in on a kidnapper who they later learned was a cannibal. Before knowing who the killer was, the detectives got together with the local church to search for one of the missing neighborhood girls. Well the killer (a member of the congregation) just happened to show up to aid in the volunteer search that day. But instead of going on the search with the rest of the group, he was in charge of making BBQ for the group to eat when they got back from searching the woods. Well, he ended up feeding that missing girl to the whole congregation, including the priest. When they finally realized who the killer was, one of the detectives questioned him in a room with the priest there. The killer said something to the effect that he had done a lot of bad things and he didn't feel like God's spirit was with him anymore. The priest tried to offer some consoling words by saying "God is in everybody." The killer just smiled and said, "So is _________." (name of the girl he fed to the people.)

My stomach was in knots and doing somersaults for the rest of the night. You know, I am sometimes paranoid that someone will do something bad to my food, like hock a loogy in my sandwich or something. But I have never thought that someone was probably feeding me a human being. And now I'll never look at barbeque the same again, let alone eat it.


Looks like I could only think of 8 things. Sorry to let you all down.

3 comments:

Karen said...

You will be pleased to know that I used to be one of those sample ladies :)

J said...

did you mean you used to host demos at the grocery store or did you mean you used to be like me walking around getting all the free food samples?

Tracy said...

I love free samples too! It makes me feel better to know that you go back for seconds as well. One old lady got mad at me once.