Monday, November 19, 2007

Good as New

This chair used to be my mom's when she was a child and then it was mine when I was a child, and now it's Vessel's! It used to look like this, but we decided to strip the stain, sand it down and repaint it. The stepping stool was also mine as a child, but given to me as a gift from someone else. We thought we'd make it go with the chair. This project took longer than expected, considering that we wanted to give it to Vessel on his birthday. The sad thing is, we were so close to having it done by then, but since it wasn't, we slacked off and barely finished it this week. Thinking it would be less boring, Mike and I decided to paint it 2 colors instead of one. After taking the slats off and sanding it all down, we first put the white coats on (which actually turned out to be eggshell) and then the red. After several coats and touch ups, we finally put on the Shellac, or the sealant. Then we nailed the slats back on and viola! An awesome chair just Vessel's size! I'm sure a professional could've done a lot better, but bear in mind that we have never done something like this before. However, it was a fun project that Mike and I could work on together and a piece of history we could pass down to our son. We love it!

1 comment:

Jake and Annika said...

You did great! I love how it turned out! What a great piece of history for him to have.