Monday, November 12, 2007

Classes

Last week I determined my school schedule for January. I’m signed up for statistics (my only required class) and my other four classes are electives. I decided to sign up with an aerobics class because not only did I need an extra credit to fill, but I think I’ll be more motivated to exercise if I know I’ll be getting a grade for attending class. I’m also taking mediation, a drawing class, and an honors class called technologies of the body. Here’s the description of the class:

Technologies of the Body The body is continually being negotiated in a landscape of ever-changing signifiers, including enhancements, exchanges, modifications and inscriptions: all instances of how we engage in 'body-work'. Bodywork includes various forms of alterations and transformations, for example, reductions, piercings, tattoos, injections, and transplantations. These practices alter and construct how the body is read, and consequently, what the body signifies. The body as a cultural signifier also includes capacities of the virtual body with the arrival of computerized, robotized, digitized, and postmodern bodies. The aim of this course is to consider and examine the argument that participation in these contemporary technologies has significantly transformed the experience of what it means to have a body. The consequences of the intersections-between technology and the body-will be explored and critically analyzed.

It sounds interesting right? If it wasn’t for Mike I wouldn’t have known it even existed. He’s the one who suggested I apply for the Honor’s program so I could be eligible to take one of the cool classes the department offers. And only the best of the best professors are allowed to teach honors courses (according to Mike), so I hope I don’t regret registering for this class. My back-up classes (in case I decide against any that I’m already signed up for) are hip hop dance (don’t judge me) and Acting 1033, at which Mike will mock me for taking both, so let’s hope it doesn’t come down to that.


4 comments:

Jake and Annika said...

Sounds interesting! Way to go taking an honors class, too. Good luck this semester!

Tracy said...

Sounds like you are going to have an interesting semester. What's your degree going to be in?
Don't listen to Mike. I took a hiphop dance class once, and it was a blast. I would take one with you anytime!

Sheldon said...

What do you think you are a gangster, you need to take country line dancin' you cracka' Just kidding I admire your enthusiasm. Good luck with that body class, seems intense.

J said...

CRACKA!?!?! I wouldn't have guessed you to be the type to use a racial slur, but I guess you Latinos are all the same. Hey toast-y, ever heard of respect? BROWN PRIDE!

p.s. I admire you for admiring me.