Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mystery

After my mom passed away I found this quilt in her closet. There are 48 embroidered quilting blocks, one for each state (excluding Hawaii and Alaska) and the state flower. It has a peach background and backing (my mom's favorite color.) It looks like a lot of work went into it. The problem? I don't know who embroidered the quilting squares. It is still a mystery to me. I've called numerous family members to find out if they know. I called my great aunt Ludeen thinking that her mom (my great grandma Jessie) might have embroidered them because I know she made several quilts and embroidered items. I described the quilt to Ludeen and when she told me she also had a state flower quilt with the same kind of pattern that her mother Jessie helped her set, I thought for sure that my great grandma had done it. I then called my aunt Ella (my mom's sister) to find out if she knew anything about it. She told me that her grandma Ames (my great grandma) made each grand-daughter a different quilt top and that my mom's may have been the state flower quilt top, but wasn't sure. I then called my other aunt to find out if she had any information. She agreed that my great grandma Ames had made a quilt top for each girl and that all the grand-daughters just had to finish the quilt themselves (like add the batting, backing, and finish the edges.) I vaguely remember my mom talking about a quilt she needed to finish when I was younger, but I'm not sure who helped her finish the quilt. And I still don't know who embroidered everything. I wish I would've asked my Mom this before she passed away, and my 2 grandmas that would have the answer have also passed away. It's frustrating because it's such a neat quilt and I'd love to know who in my family background made it. Here's my advice: talk to your parents and grandparents now! If you have old things like this, find out who made them, ask questions about your genealogy, take an interest! I wish I would've then, but now it's too late. *sigh*

Here are a few of the quilting blocks:

(Idaho--my state baby! Woot woot!)



The quilt laid out on our bed:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jamie I have no Idea I don't think it is one of my grandmas quilts because hers were just fabric squares sewn together. I never saw my mom do anything like those squares so I'm thinking it was probably your'e great grandma that did it. sorry I thought I might be able to help to solve the mystery.It was really great talking to you tonight. I look forward to seeing you in Dec.at the temple. Love Jolene