Monday, November 12, 2007

Another week has begun

Another week has begun. Where did the weekend go? It was a great weekend, but went by too fast. One of my friends started a monthly get-together, appropriately named “girls night in,” where about 10 of us women get together at someone’s home to work on our projects, eat, and basically just talk all hours of the night. So on Friday a few women, including me, brought our scrapbooks, one brought some needlepoint, another worked on painting, another was sewing something special to give as a Christmas gift, and one filled out some baby shower invitations. It’s not very often that I feel comfortable with a big group of women, but I have to be honest and say that I had a fabulous time. I saw a side of some girls that I had never seen before. It was great just being able to have adult conversation (which is a must when you’re with a kid all day long) and talk freely about pretty much any topic. Nothing was taboo. Overall, I enjoyed learning about other women’s lives and was happy to find out that other women have several similar ideas and experiences as me. And besides eating and laughing together, I was actually able to make progress on my scrapbook (something I never get a chance to do when it’s just me and Vessel at home) and swap ideas with fellow scrapbookers. Thanks to my honey for giving our son a bath and putting him down for the night so I could go have some fun. :) The host of this month’s “girls night in” decided she wanted to do the pencil test on one of the pregnant woman in the group as a means to finding out the gender of her baby. If you read my “10 unknown facts” post recently, you’ll remember that I’m superstitious, and this little pencil test is no exception. I remember my mom doing the test on me as a young girl, but with a needle instead of a pencil. Oddly, I don’t remember the results. So out of curiosity I had my friend dangle the pencil lead above my wrist and tell me my pregnancy future, if you will, and according to the pencil I’m only having 2 boys. Psh! We’ll just see about that. For one thing, I was kind of planning on having more than 2 kids, and for another I KNOW I’m going to have a girl SOMEDAY. I just have to. Pencil, why do you have to mess with me? Anyway, has anyone ever heard of this pencil test who wouldn't mind sharing their experiences/thoughts on it?

On Saturday a friend of mine who is so sweet watched Vessel for us so Mike and I could attend a temple session. We went with another couple and it was a really good session. In fact, one of the best I’ve had in a long time. And it made me feel happy the rest of the day. After picking up Vess, we went out with the same couple to have some Indian food (Mike’s favorite.) By the time we got home Vessel was so exhausted that he took a 2 ½ hour nap, which was fine by me, because I needed a nap too. I have not taken a real nap in months, and let me tell ya, it felt SO NICE. That night I made spaghetti and meatballs with garlic toast, which turned out okay, but for some reason I can never get my meatballs to maintain their “ball” shape when I cook them. Does anyone have some tips for me? After Vessel was down for the night, Mike and I watched a movie, ate ice cream and snuggled. Don’t get me wrong, I love my kid, but sometimes I really can’t wait for 8:00 to roll around so Mike and I can just have some alone time and talk or so I can finally work on my neglected projects.

On Sunday, Vessel was a demon, and I mean that. The poor kid caught a mild cold plus he’s getting his molars, and on top of that I think he’s having a growth spurt. So he’s been really irritable and uncomfortable the past few days. I know something’s not right when my seemingly mellow, happy, content child is shrieking and whining non-stop all day. It’s like he turned into a completely different person. I had a feeling he was teething again because he’s been drooling excessively and putting his fingers in his mouth, and sure enough I looked at his gums and I can see them starting to bubble up. So right now he’s just one snotty, slobbery mess. The reason I think he’s having a growth spurt is because he’s eating more than usual and it doesn’t seem like he’s grown for some time, (or maybe I just don’t notice him getting bigger because it’s so gradual.) But in any case, if it is a growth spurt, there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s in some pain. As a child Mike would cry and complain about his joints, bones and skin hurting when he was going through a major growth spurt, so I’m sure Vessel could have a similar experience. I hope he gets feeling better soon.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

you probably do this already, but if not, you can try beating an egg into the meatball mixture to hold the stuff together.

J said...

yeah, the meatball recipe includes an egg to bind the meat (along with breadcrumbs, milk, and spices.) so i don't know what the deal is. they just kind of go flat on me instead of staying round.

Anonymous said...

I have had the pencil test done on me 3 times and each time it told me the same thing: 1 boy and 3 girls. That's exactly what I had! My aunt did the test on my mom after all her pregnancies and it went through each child exactly. It is really strange.

Anonymous said...

that pencil test worked for me too. don't ask me how though. i heard it has something to do with the energy in your body reacting to the lead. but it only works on women and the person giving the test has to be a woman too, or else it won't work. even if it is just an old wives tale, it's still fun to do!

Tracy said...

That pencil test reminds me of that MASH test I used to play with my friends when I was little. I can't remember how to play it now. :( Good times. I love little things like that.