Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Hair is an Accessory!

Well, I really need a break from studying, so I'm going to post a bunch of crap about myself. :) Most of you know I love scrapbooking. But I'm usually too busy to sit down and make progress on my pages. I've got lots of photos in shoeboxes just waiting to be organized, cropped and labeled. I thought conference would provide a good opportunity to scrapbook. You know, I might as well do something while I'm just sitting there listening right? So anyway, I found a bunch of pictures during the sorting process and thought it would be fun to post them on here.

The name of this post is entitled "Hair is an Accessory" because that's really what I consider it. There are just too many possibilities to choose from. So here are some of the many stages my hair went through growing up. I bet some of my family will appreciate these.


Ah, look #1. Ever since I had hair on my head my mom gave me bangs. Below are a few examples:

Here I am as a kindergartener. Uneven bangs were generally my style.

2nd grade. More bangs, but I've also got some "crimp" going on in the back. And check out that grill! It's a wonder my teeth turned out as well as they did, considering I never had braces. When those adult teeth come in, they seem to take up a kid's entire face, am I right? Eh, I grew into 'em.

3rd grade. Then the "poofy bangs" were in. Oh, and that sweater is just screaming the 80's. Gotta love it.

6th grade. Still haven't lost the bangs. :(


8th grade. Around 7th grade I started growing my bangs out and the summer before 8th grade my hair was all one length. I pretty much wore this exact hairstyle until 10th grade.


Beginning of 11th grade. THE PERM! I have hair that's straight as a board and I always wanted curly hair so I went out and got a perm. But to be honest, it wasn't a favorite of mine.

End of 11th grade. By the end of my junior year I had grown out and cut off all that nasty perm and dyed my hair semi-permanent red.


The summer before my senior year I wanted to look like Ginger Spice from the Spice Girls. She had red hair with blonde strips in the front. Well, I tried using straight bleach on my hair. That didn't work so I used straight peroxide. WHAT WAS I THINKING!? It ate my hair in the front. But as it grew out it was actually lighter, so there you have it. Not exactly what I was trying to accomplish though.

12th grade. A few days before yearbook pictures were taken I chopped all the "red" off. Stupid photographers made all the girls wear this little black top that made us look like we were wearing dresses or something. Gotta be unified, right?

A couple months later I frosted my hair and started using A LOT of hair product. Gel and hairspray were an essential part of my life.

A couple of months after that I got it cut the shortest its ever been and colored it red. It was so short that it literally would not stay down. My mom cried.


Aside from being called a "dyke" by some ignorant school kid, I really liked my hair short and spiky. Very low maintenance. I never got ready for a dance so fast.

At the end of December during my senior year I dyed it pink. It was quite fitting for my personality at the time. My mom still wasn't a fan. :)

By February it was getting long, but I still wanted the crazy, spiky, messy look. I tried to make it as high as I could.

The spring before graduation I got blonde stripes. When my hair was down you could see the stripes, but I usually wore it pinned in the front and crazy in the back like this.

Then I started doing the curly look again. I think my friend Chris mentioned that I looked like an old grandma, so I gave up on the curls.

At the end of my senior year I tried to to tame the mane a bit more.

And then in the summer I started gelling it and flipping it out in the back again.

The fall after graduation I flipped it up on the sides like wings and sported highlights.

My first year of college I began the process of growing it out. Ah, pigtails. Nothing cuter than that.

Growing.....

Growing...... (and the first time my hair was it's natural color in years.)

Still growing.... Long hair has its advantages. You can pull it up in a ponytail, braid it, twist it and curl it. The ringlets were only for special occasions though. And by gosh, there's nothing more special than a Ricks college dance, am I right?

I started to get bored with my hair and needed a new look. After the hard work of growing it out I didn't want to chop it off again, so...I dyed it blonde instead.

I actually sort of liked it. I was more popular with the boys as a blonde. WOOT WOOT.

But then I got the dreaded "roots" syndrome. You know, when your hair starts to grow out and your dark roots begin to show. So much for trying to pass as a natural blonde. Psh.

In an attempt to get my hair back to it's "natural" color, I had to dye it dark, but it ended up looking almost black. It wasn't what I was going for, but I worked it.

This is what I like to call "Madison Schoolgirl Hair." The Rexburg girls just had the curly, poofy, ratted hair going on. Idaho hair and proud!

I went back to the short look for awhile during my time in Japan. Trust me, it was better with all that humidity.
And now 4 years and who knows how many hair styles later, here I am. Rocking the A-line cut and henna colored hairdo.

Well, I hope you've all enjoyed a trip down memory lane with me. Now I really better get back to my homework. psh....

9 comments:

RAZ said...

Just before Bekah and I met on LDSPals some dude saw a picture of her with short hair and told her she must be a lesbo because of her hairstyle.

If I did a hair retrospective, it would be a bunch of pictures of me with the same hair and my face gradually aging. But I have amazing plans to grow my hair out once the Army lets me go. I think I'm going to go with something exactly like this: http://cdn.channel.aol.com/getty/E/2006-10-18/72206351BB021_jason-schwartzman.jpg

Unknown said...

Jamie that is so cool. I love that you put all those pics up of your hair. Personally I loved ur hair when u had a perm...if I could get mine to be like that I would do it! U are so brave to chop it so short in high school. It feels like we haven't had church in like months, weird huh?

Karen said...

This is very cool. Your hair has enjoyed a great number of hairstyles through the years, so it's fun to see how it's changed. My hair history, however, would be very, very boring in comparison. "Age 0-23: Straight and brown with slightly varying degrees of length and bang-ness."

J said...

mel,
josie told me you wanted to get a perm, but don't do it! it ruins your hair! you might look really pretty with curly hair though. are you thinking something like laurie's hair?

J said...

hey karen, you don't have bangs now do you? i bet your hair would look great with a layered cut around your shoulders with some highlights. don't get me wrong though, you totally rock your hair now!

J said...

chris,

this totally fits you

http://cdn.channel.aol.com/getty/
E/2006-10-18/
72206351BB021_jason-schwartzman.jpg

Rebekah said...

I love this post! I'm going to do a post like this, too. I just have to dig through my pictures and scan them into my computer. Oh, and was it my husband who told you your hair looks like an old grandma's? Lol, I asked him if it was him, and he said, "well, I don't remember, but the time frame fits, so it was probably me."

J said...

bekah,
yeah, it was your husband. i sent him a picture of my short, curly hair once and he said it looked grandma-ish. at least the kid was honest. gotta love that. :) oh, and sorry some loser called you a lesbo.... stupid jerks! girls with short hair can be super hot! that boy didn't know what he was missing!

The Allred Family said...

I definitely enjoyed that little trip down Jamie Lane. It;s so fun to see pics from the past. you were a bit of a punk .I totally went thru a "dyke" phase with my hair too. People used to ask me if I was a boy or girl. How humiliating.