Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Books

Good-Bye, Chunky Rice
By Craig Thompson

I saw this book on display at the library about 2 months ago. I checked it out only because I had recently read Blankets by Craig Thompson and was curious about some of his other work. I was skeptical of this book at first, but surprisingly I enjoyed it from start to finish. Chunky Rice is a sweet little turtle who ventures out on the great wide ocean to find out where he truly belongs. But doing so requires that he leave behind his owner Solomon, and his beloved mouse deer friend Dandel. Call me simple-minded, but I thought this book was quite humorous. Solomon's hick way of speaking, Merle's "doot doot"-ing, Ruth and Livonia's arguments, Chuck's insensitivities, and Chunky and Dandel's love of Motown....it's all so funny to me. But at the same time, the drawings and dialogue are touching and honest. It's just a fun book to read and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves comics or isn't looking for something too serious or lengthy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's crazy, because yesterday my sis borrowed the book "Blankets" from the library and I didn't realize it was the same author until I'd finished it, although it reminded me of "Chunky Rice" for some reason (I was looking at it when you brought it over that day while watching conference). I thought "Blankets" was amazing and so delicately beautiful...I read it all last night and really got into it. Maybe I should try "Chunky Rice" too!