Friday, September 26, 2008

"I stole it"

Last week our next door neighbor finally had her baby. I knew about it because on my way down to take the laundry to the car I ran into her mother who was frantic with excitement. She asked me, "Do you know Melanie?!" I said, "uh, no" and the lady said, "you know, the one like this" as she put her arms out in front of her belly to indicate a pregnant lady. I said, "oh, yeah, I've talked to her a few times." And she squealed to me, "Well, she had her baby today!" and then ran out the door with inundated enthusiasm. I guess she was on her way to the hospital to see her daughter and the new grand-daughter. Anyway, I don't really know the girl all that well. I mean, I've seen her in passing and said "hi" a few times, but nothing more. But I thought, maybe I should make her cookies or something to congratulate her. Anyway, the next day Mike and I were sitting at the table eating lunch. Our table is right by the kitchen window and you can see the front of the complex and the street directly from our window. As we ate I noticed a car pull up and the new mom and baby step out of the car. Then I saw "Grandma" or the lady I ran into the previous day get out of the car and take out the car seat. I thought, "Wow, that car seat looks just like Vessel's." She started walking up toward the building and then she stopped in the street near our car. Then she opened our car and threw in the car seat she was carrying! It WAS our car seat! I was like, "WTF?!" So I opened the window and called down to her. I think she was a little scared that I caught her returning the car seat. She was all flustered and was tripping over her words and I was like, "What did you just put in our car?" acting like I didn't know. And she was like, "Your car seat. I stole it." Really? I didn't just gather that. And then she went off on some story about how she thought the car was her daughter's car and didn't realize it was the wrong car seat until she got to the hospital. Well, maybe she wasn't telling a fib, but really, how do you mistake your own daughter's car? Keep in mind that her daughter's car looks NOTHING like our car, plus it's still got Utah plates on it. I think she knew exactly what she was doing, and our car (lucky for her) just coincidentally happened to be unlocked during that time. You know, I seriously wouldn't have been mad if she just knocked on my apartment door and said, "Look, my daughter doesn't have a car seat to bring the baby home in. Is it okay if we borrow yours?" And I would've graciously let her use it for as long as she needed. But it kind of irritates me that she "stole" it and then just threw it back in the car all haphazardly like I wasn't going to notice. What's up with people these days? So that's my funny story for the week. Hope you enjoyed it!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my heck!!! That is the craziest thing I have ever heard!!!! I don't know what else to say...:)

Tracy said...

Are you kidding me? That is so crazy!

Sheltielady said...

OH MY HECK!
what kind of person steals someone's carseat?
gads...

RAZ said...

Too bad she had time to reproduce, because people with that much sense of entitlement deserve a Darwin award. Especially when it comes to your child's safety. Now you don't know what happened to the car seat while it was in her possession.

Was it handled roughly or dropped to the point where it would be considered unsafe? Did she return all of the components? What if they'd been in a wreck? All of those things could make the seat unsafe and in need of replacement. And the problem is that you'll never know because it wasn't in your possession for several hours. You should send her a bill for a new car seat.

Katie said...

You have GOT to be kidding!! That is the most bizarro thing I have heard in a very LONG time!! Did Melanie have a carseat for you baby or did they use yours? You've got to share this on Rants N Raves!

Melissa Tupou said...

That story is for the books! I would have been so pissed! U should have made the cookies and told them to shove them up their @#%!jk. Vessel's seat is too big for a new baby anyways....crazy.

Melissa Tupou said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

That was a good laugh. Who does that really. good time good times.

Karen said...

What the heck? Some people are just so strange.

Jake and Annika said...

How funny! I had to laugh at this one!

Bethany said...

I am completely in shock. I don't even know what to say about it. At least they returned it? Time to start locking your car? CRAZY!!!

J said...

bethany,
the funny thing is that we ALWAYS do lock our car. that's why mike and i are so confused. we must've forgotten to lock it that time....or maybe the broad picked the lock too.

Robnz Fam said...

Ok, weird. So weird. I couldn't believe that! Funny, but so weird!
So, did you end up making her cookies? ;0)
Weird.