Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Love Saturdays

I love Saturdays because it's the one day of the week that Mike, Vessel, and I get to spend the ENTIRE day together and do whatever we want. Oh blessed Saturday! Today Vessel let us sleep in until 9:00! That's got to be some kind of record. I wasn't complaining even a little bit. We lounged around the house for awhile in our PJs and ate banana pancakes. (Another reason I love Saturdays is because we can have breakfast together. Mmmmm, I love breakfast food.) Then we decided to go see what our fine city had to offer. We parked downtown and walked up and down Central Avenue looking at all the nifty shops. There were a lot of art galleries, antique shops, cute diners, thrift outlets, and health and beauty stores. Lots of cool stuff to look at. We found an old fashioned candy store that made hand pulled salt water taffy and homemade fudge. When Mike found out they were having a sale on the fudge, he couldn't pass up getting a box. I have to admit that I'm glad I married a guy who likes sweets just as much as I do.

After the morning events were over we took Vessel home to have a nap and Mike and I were able to have some alone time to talk and hang out. When all our errands were done for the day we went to a local park to fly the kites I won at an auction the night before. It was quite fun and there was just enough breeze to keep the kites in the air. (Here's some trivia for ya. Great Falls ranks #7 for top 10 windiest cities in America. That's just great if you want to fly a kite.)

Vessel was intrigued by the kites at first, and we even let him hold the string for awhile, but then he lost interest and decided to go exploring in the grass.


Sadly while playing at the park, I noticed that a little girl was getting picked on by a bunch of other kids. Then I saw a little boy push her down so hard it knocked the wind out of her. That's when I decided to intervene and the group of bullies took off when they saw me. There were no adults present and I just felt horrible for that little girl having no chance of defending herself against that big group of kids. No little kid should have to be afraid to go play at the park because they might get beaten up, right? But I made sure the girl was okay and then talked to her mom later. I couldn't believe the mouths those little kids had on them either, just cursing and swearing and trying to act all tough. It makes me not want to let Vessel EVER grow up. :( Anyway, I'm totally digressing here. Back to why I love Saturdays.
Another reason is because it's the one day that we usually get to go out and eat dinner together. (That means I don't have to cook or wash dishes. Yaay!) So we went out last night, and despite the truly embarrassing moment I had at the restaurant, everything was just great. For all of you who are wondering, no, my embarrassing moment did not involve an explosive onslaught of diarrhea. But it did involve toilet paper, so that's a plus, right? :) After arriving home and getting Vessel off to bed, Mike and I cuddled up on our fabulous camping chairs to watch a movie. Too bad the movie was lame. The whole time Mike and I were making comments back and forth about how stupid it was. Thanks for mocking it with me babe! Oh, just so you know the movie was called "One Missed Call" so don't pick that one up from Redbox on your way out of the grocery store, aight? I think I'm done with horror/suspense shows all together. From now on I think I'm going to stick with comedy. Anyway, Saturday was just great and I had a lot of fun with the fam!

Okay, so here's a little about our Friday night. It was the night of the infamous Ho-Down. The actual event was called "Kick Your Heels Up At The Farm" and we ate dinner and there was a live band. First up were some youth fiddlers, then we had an adult band play some classic country songs. People were out there cuttin' a rug and getting all lushed up. Mike and I danced a little, but we got kind of bored so we decided to go across the street to the Pow Wow. I've never been to one and let me tell ya, it was all I expected and more.

Here's a picture of me, Mike and our new Native American friend.

I don't know much about the Native American culture, but that Pow Wow was pretty interesting. Mike and I joined one of the dances and apparently we looked ridiculous because 2 young girls came and each grabbed one of our hands in an attempt to teach us how to do it right. Or maybe they felt bad that we were like the only white people there and thought we might've felt left out. Either way we appreciated their gesture.

Here is a video of some of the people walking around in the circle to shake hands with the rest of the crowd. I was pretty stoked about that one couple's get up. Isn't it totally sweet? Yeah, I thought so.


After a few dances at the Pow Wow we went back to the Farm in the Dell shindig to see if I won the silent auction. There was a basket of beauty products I bid on, and this one lady kept outbidding me. Eventually she took the prize, but I was okay with it seeing how I couldn't justify spending $70 dollars on it anyway. Every time I bid she'd come back and bid $5.00 more, then I'd go back and bid $5.00 more. We did that for a long time until I finally just gave up. But I did win the toys I bid on for Vessel. Only cost me 6 bucks for two kites, a container of Floam, and a stuffed animal. Come on, I had to bring back Vessel something to play with. And all the money from the silent auction went to charity.

Afterwards we drove around GF for awhile. I tried to get a picture of the 9th street bridge but couldn't get a shot that wasn't blurry. This turned out kind of cool though.

Then we went over to Gibson Park and walked around until it got too eerie for me to really enjoy it. So much for trying to have a romantical walk through the park, but it was practically pitch black and my mind wouldn't shut off thinking about scary thoughts of getting killed by some crazy park loitering murderer. So we got the heck out of Dodge.

Anyway, that was our fun weekend. I love getting to spend time with my fun family. Mike is so much fun to hang out with and we always laugh and have a good time. And we love hanging out with our son together. When the weekend is over I can't hardly wait until the next weekend we get to spend together!

3 comments:

Josie said...

It looks like you guys are taking full advantage of your weekends together. It seems like you're always doing something so fun. You have a knack for finding crazy fun shin digs. Good to see you are doing good and that the house buying process is going so smooth. My vote was for the brown house, so I'm glad it's going well. It looks like an adorable home.
We miss you being around to make us smile and laugh girly girl.
When you comin' back to visit?????

Katie said...

WOW!! That is a great Weekend!! I would love to go to a pow wow..how fun!

Karen said...

That fudge looks soooooo good!