Friday, July 4, 2008

Stuff I Love

My First Words
Touch and Feel Picture Cards

I got these cards for my son when he was about 16 months old. I thought they'd be perfect for long car rides or to keep him entertained at church. These cards are made of sturdy board so they hold up to toddler abuse quite nicely. My son has yet so bend or tear one of these cards. The case they come in is also very durable so you don't end up with a broken, flattened box after a few weeks of carrying them around in your bag. My son enjoys taking the cards out of the box and putting them back in again. He is so entertained by such a simple activity! I love that every card gives the child a sensory experience. The pictures each have a specific section for the child to touch and explore. The dog has actual fur, the corn on the cob is wonderfully textured, and the jelly even has a sticky spot on it. The cards are organized by color so that as the child gets older they can categorize each picture by animal, food, toy, vehicle, etc. The back of each card also suggests games or teaching methods.
It wasn't long before my son was able to identify with and say every word in the deck. These cards have been a great entertaining and teaching resource and I'd recommend them to any mom with young children.

No comments: