Saturday, July 5, 2008

Music


ROCKABYE BABY!
Lullaby Renditions of the Pixies


I was introduced to Rockabye Baby about 2 years ago after reading about the CDs in a magazine article. I swiftly checked out this website and immediately fell in love! I recognized many of my favorite bands as I scrolled through the available albums. Rockabye Baby "transforms timeless rock songs into beautiful instrumental lullabies" by using instruments such as the glockenspiel, vibraphone, and mellotron. The songs are beautifully arranged and far from the typical Playskool jingle. Putting a twist like this on a traditional rock song makes it a whole new listening experience. According to Lisa Roth it was quite the challenge "to make every album musically interesting enough to satisfy adult listeners" while creating a soothing ambiance for a sleeping baby. I think they did an excellent job at meeting that challenge. Without delay I ordered the lullaby renditions of Radiohead (since they are my favorite band) and was amazed at how musically appealing and non-boring it actually was. Babyrockrecords recently released lullaby renditions of the Pixies (another of my favorite bands of all time) and I was so excited that I just HAD to get it. I don't think I'll be disappointed in my decision judging by the audio clips I heard online. I also hope to get the Coldplay, No Doubt, and Smashing Pumpkins albums very shortly. If they are anything like the Radiohead renditions, I'll be pleased as punch. Heck, I haven't even listened to them all, but I think it's safe to say that I'd recommend this to parents and children alike. This is a treat for the ears.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I downloaded some of the Beatles and U2 and Metallica. I like to listen to those plus the Radiohead one you gave me. Even though they are for kids, it makes really nice background music that calms me down when I'm stressed. A little weird, but I'm okay with that. ;) Thanks for introducing me to these!

Anonymous said...

Okay, checking my computer it looks like I've got Rockabye for Coldplay, Floyd, Green day, Nine Inch Nails, Nirvana, No Doubt, Radiohead and Tool. The Coldplay one is so pretty.

Anonymous said...

Rachel, I love you!