Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Movies

Juno

Sorry guys, I know this movie has been out for awhile, but I'm just catching up with my blog now that I have more time on my hands! So, here's the scoop: I loved this movie! I thought it was one of the funniest films I'd ever seen. Juno was such a kick in the pants. Everything she said cracked me up. Even all the cool lingo that I didn't "get" made me laugh. When I watched it with Mike I told him I must be getting pretty old if that's how the "young" kids actually talk to each other these days, because I had never heard some of the slang before.
I thought the cast was great and the acting was just as great. I was happy to see Allison Janney (Juno's stepmother) in the movie since I'm a big fan of hers. And I was pretty happy with Rainn Wilson's short part in the beginning and his humorous comments ("This is one doodle that can't be undid, homeskillet.")
So, here's the background. Juno MacGuff is a 16 year old who, on a whim because she's "bored," has sex with her friend Paulie Bleeker and ends up getting pregnant. Her first thoughts are to "procure a hasty abortion" but then decides against it. I don't know if it had anything to do with Su-Chin standing outside the clinic chanting, "All babies want to get borned!" or her comment about babies having fingernails (yes, fingernails.) But Juno decides to carry the baby to term and give it up for adoption. The lucky couple she decides to give the baby to are Mark and Vanessa. Mark is a bit of a kid at heart and has a hard time letting go of his rocker band past. He and Juno have a real connection and exchange cds and watch old horror flicks together. Vanessa is more serious minded and materialistic, but also very nurturing and mother-like. Then there's Leah, Juno's best friend who helps her through her pregnancy and stands by her when no one else at school will. Juno's parents are even surprisingly "cool" and supportive with her decision. Throughout the show you get to watch Juno's relationships with these people grow and change. You also get to see instances of closeness between Juno and Bleeker (when they're not fighting about prom and Katrina De Voort.) The movie was funny but even touching at times. The only beef I had with it was that it kind of glamorized teen pregnancy. At the end of the show you see Juno and Bleeker together and happy and just living like kids again. The baby's out of the picture and POOF! No big deal right? I don't think it worked out like that for any of the girls that got pregnant in my school. But you know, I guess I don't have too much of a beef with the movie afterall. I suppose it just seemed a little unrealistic at times. But, c'mon, it's just a movie. And an entertaining one at that. I would also like to say the soundtrack is pretty freakin' sweet, if you're into simple idie rock-y folk-y stuff. I'm sure no one else will agree with me on this, but I thought "Vampire" by Antsy Pants was so cute and catchy during the end credits. It's like one of my favorite songs! But I really like all of the music they used in the film and thought it fit perfectly. Great movie, great soundtrack. Bonus!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The movie was all right, but I think most of the kids spoke as if they were a lot older than 16 and Mark was really creepy, especially when you watch the extra scenes on the DVD. I did like Juno's dad, though. When I grow up I want to be like him. It was a decent movie, but I probably wouldn't watch it again.

Anonymous said...

I don't know if the way they talked was completely "accurate" but I still found it funny :) I really, really liked this movie, even after two times watching it. There are so many things that come together in this movie that make it great.

Anonymous said...

One of my favorite parts was when she told her parents she was pregnant. I don't think any parent in their right mind would react like that, but it was still pretty funny. I loved this movie, and I liked the sound track. Gavin and I were busting up through pretty much the whole thing