Monday, May 5, 2008

The Duckies!

Hi folks, it's your good friend Mike, writing my annual post. For the last month it's been really fun to take my pal Ves to the park so he can feed the ducks. The last time we went, we did so after three days of bad weather, which I assume meant that no one went to feed the birds because as soon as we were out of our sweet rig (conveniently pictured below) they totally flocked toward us. It was sweet and crazy all at once!


Here we are before things got out of hand. Tons of birds, no bloodshed......


Here's where it started getting ugly and sweet. These pigeons totally started trying to land on Ves' shoulder so they could get first dibs on the bread we had...


After I finished fighting off the first wave of rabid pigeons, the big daddy goose came over to get in on the action. The thing is as tall as Ves! It's not as aggressive as the others, but still made me nervous....


Here's a closeup of the big daddy.....


At this point the ducks started getting impatient and nipped at Ves' fingers in their search for bread. I was none too pleased......


Just when we thought we were all safe again, the pigeons started their attacks again.....


This is where we reconciled and the birds stopped acting like jerks about the whole thing. Ah, harmony with nature......


Ves wanted to check out the rest of the park, so he picked up this handy little walking stick/sword and led us around for a while...


He led us over to this sweet little fire pit and we found a nest with some duck eggs in it! We were totally pumped!


On our way back to the car, we walked past this other duck with a bunch of her little ducklings. We were pretty much stoked, I'm not gonna lie.

So there's my post about spending family time at the park. Good times were had by all. We had action, romance, mystery, and a seventh grade health lesson about the circle of life all within twenty minutes! You can't beat that, eh?

1 comment:

Karen said...

Wow, what an adventure! I laughed heartilly as I read of your escapades. I can't beleive those pigeons, or that big daddy goose! Did it start to feel like an Alfred Hitchcock movie out there, or what?