Monday, May 5, 2008

Books


Spooky ABC
by Eve Merriam & Lane Smith

While teaching in Japan I frequently went to the local library in our town in search of books to use for my lessons. While browsing through the English section I found Halloween ABC, the original title of this book when it was first printed. I fell in love with it immediately. I enjoy kids' books, especially those that are a little peculiar or eccentric with awesome artwork. And it's for those reasons I had to order it and add it to my collection of children's literature. However, according to some parents' reviews of this book, you might think twice before reading this book to a young child prior to bedtime. As a kid, I was intrigued by anything spooky, (and still am to this day) so reading books like this as a child wasn't disturbing to me. However some children might be more sensitive to the pictures and rhymes. That said, I believe this is actually a charmingly wonderful book for all ages with it's catchy poetry and curious images.

No comments: