Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 8 San Juan, Puerto Rico

Our last port o' call. I caught a picture of Mike out by the pool our last morning on the ship.

This is the skylight chapel on deck 15. It serves as a place of worship, a wedding chapel, and a place to display works of art.

This looks to be a cathedral, though I can't be sure exactly what it is. This was taken from the top deck of the ship.

Capitol building (El Capitolio) in old San Juan, made of white marble outside and pink and yellow marble inside.

The ceiling was beautiful with paintings and stained glass.


Mike and Jamie at Fort San Cristobal






I love the rustic Spanish look. The rounded doors and windows are something I love about the architecture of old San Juan.



View from top of fort


The streets of old San Juan


Columbus Square. Here stands a statue of Christopher Columbus, supposedly the person attributed for discovering the island. Columbus Square has many cool shops and street vendors. Mike and I bought tropically flavored gelato from a nice man on the street.

On our last night in San Juan we stayed at the famous Caribe Hilton hotel "set on an exclusive peninsula, made up of 17 acres of lush tropical gardens, this resort is ideally situated between the historic old San Juan and the exciting Condado area." It was the nicest hotel I have ever stayed at. I think my jaw dropped when I saw it.

This was the view from our balcony


This is the pool area which is set right on the ocean. They have a bar to order drinks in the middle of one of the pools.


The secluded beach at the hotel



In one area was a cluster of palm trees with numerous hammocks hung between them.



Here I ordered a virgin pina coloda (or "unleaded" as the Puerto Ricans say.) Pina Coloda is known as Puerto Rico's official drink. They are SOOOO good. I have made one every night since we got home.

Mike and I enjoying a warm night out on the hammock.

San Juan was our favorite place of the whole trip! We could totally live there, as long as we learned Spanish first. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just ignore my facial expressions in 99 percent of the pictures. I have some kind of defect where I always blink! If I look totally stupid it's probably a combination of me BEING stupid and me trying really hard to keep my eyes open....

Mike