Tuesday, September 25, 2007

The Witching Hour

     So this day is finally catching up with me. Tuesdays and Fridays seem to be the worst days of the week for our family. Mike is gone from morning until night on those days, and so I am with Vessel by myself all day. Normally, it’s not a big deal, but Vessel has been so cranky today. He’s been non-stop screeching and whining. I think it’s a combo of teething and being sick.  

     I babysat for a friend of mine last week and for some reason she thought it would be okay to drop her kid off even though he was terribly sick. (Like green mucus dripping from his nose.) I didn’t know he was sick until they were at my door, so I couldn’t really get out of it. I have real issues letting sick people into my house and getting their germs everywhere. Even after disinfecting EVERYTHING in the apartment when they left, Vessel still got a cold and has given it to me as well.  

     It started last Friday night and he was up every hour unable to breathe so he spent most of the night in our bed or in our arms. At his age there aren’t a lot of medicines out there we can give him so we’ve been using saline drops for his nose, putting him in the steamy bathroom and using a humidifier at nights to clear his sinus passages. It’s so heartbreaking when he’s sick. This morning when he woke up his little feet and hands were like ice cubes so I put him in bed with me and we snuggled and got warm together. He buried himself next to me and it was really tender and sweet. We ended up falling asleep for a bit longer. But after we both got up for the day things kind of went downhill.  

     Today was just a hard day emotionally. Maybe it’s partly because I’ve had to care for an irritable, sick baby or because Mike and I haven’t seen each other all day. It might possibly have to do with the fact that I haven’t been able to take my thyroid medicine since my prescription ran out and my doctor didn’t write me a refill in time. Maybe part of it has to do with the full moon. Or maybe I’ve just had a lot of depressing stuff on my mind today.
 
     Well, I guess I could tell you about our weekend and at least try to end on a semi-positive note, right? Saturday Mike and I hung out with a new couple in our building, Conor and Jessica. The plan was to have a picnic in the park and then they were going to teach us how to play tennis. But unfortunately it rained all afternoon, so we ended up going to “The Pie” for lunch and then called it a day with them.
      That evening I totally cleaned the house. Not just de-cluttered the place, but actually detail cleaned (vacuumed, dusted, swept, mopped, scrubbed the toilet, tub, and sinks…etc.) It feels so good to have a clean home. It’s like I can completely relax when the house is spotless. I am a little anal about cleanliness and having order. Our poor kids… I also rearranged the furniture again. It’s nice to do that every couple of months. 

     I want to get more green plants around our house, but we can never keep them alive. We only have one bamboo stalk left out of the six we had when we first got married. I guess I’m not keen on the needs of houseplants, or maybe I’m just neglectful of them. 
     That night we were going to go to the Epic Summer Film Festival that our friends Casey and Helen are apart of, but since it was raining and Vessel wasn’t feeling well we opted not to go. Bummer. It sounded like lots of fun. On Sunday I gave the YW lesson on wise choices, which I’ll have to go into more detail later. 
     
     After church Mike’s brother, Danny and his very nice friend, Karen met us at our apartment and then we went to the institute building on the U of U campus for a fireside where Elder Jeffrey R. Holland spoke. We got there about an hour and a half early but we still didn’t get seats in the chapel or even in the mile long overflow. We sat in the alternate chapel on the opposite side of the building and watched it on a screen instead. But the presence of an apostle could be felt throughout the building. The fireside was so uplifting and spiritual, and even funny at times. I never knew Elder Holland had such a sense of humor! Again, I’ll have to go into more detail about his talk in another post. 

     Afterwards we came back to our apartment and Mike and I made dinner for everyone (spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, green beans, juice, and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.) To complete the night we played a game and then Danny and Karen had to get back home. It was so nice to visit with them. I think that about covers it.:-)

No comments: