Monday, February 28, 2011

Still Trying....

We are still trying to eat as much raw food as we can. That usually ends up being 2-3 times a week. The other days of the week we eat cooked meals, but try to make them fairly healthy.

Mike makes green smoothies for us everyday. It's a great way to include a large amount of phytochemicals into your diet!

Trying to eat right is truly a science. I have been learning all kinds of things in my research. For instance, cooked tomatoes are actually better for you than raw ones because the chopping and heat help release the lycopene. It has been fun and interesting to come up with the "perfect" diet.
Also, did you know that eating Indian food can be quite beneficial to your health? The Indian people use so many nutrient rich spices in their food, it's hard not to get an astounding dose of antioxidants when eating it.

Here is the chicken marinade I made for our Indian meal last week. So many beautiful, colorful, aromatic spices combined to make the perfect flavor. And did I mention it's SO GOOD for you? Like I said, it's a science. It's awesome to learn the various benefits of each spice (from treating inflammation to indigestion.) I am becoming a huge believer in the healing power of spices and herbs.

Here is the vegetarian shepherd's pie we made last week as well. Full of a dozen types of vegetables, tofu, mashed sweet potatoes, and nuts.

Mike and I signed up with Local Harvest today, which I hope will turn out to be a good decision for us. This not only helps the local farmers, but we also get organic, locally grown fruit, vegetable, meat and eggs. I'm so excited about this!

I am loving this new outlook on food and nutrition!

6 comments:

Kathy Floen said...

What an awesome BLOG POST! :) I would like to get together and talk spices! :) I am thinking of trying a little bit here and there...if you say it works for inflammation I am willing to try it. :) Your pic of the spices was perfection! :) Yummers! :) How was the shepard's pie?

Marnee said...

Is the idea behind raw food simply to focus on minimal processing, or are their noticeable nutrient losses that happen with normal cooking of healthy foods?

(I found a yummy-looking raw "brownie" recipe that I really want to try, but I'm too chicken. I don't see how dates and cocoa (and agave!) are supposed to make something like brownies... lol)

J said...

Yes, Marnee. You pretty much nailed it. You can get the most nutrients from raw, uncooked food. But like I said, there are some exceptions, as with the tomatoes. I don't think I could ever live off a 100% raw diet. But we are trying to avoid highly processed foods, white flour, white sugar, etc. so those brownies sound pretty good! We made a chocolate cake recently that sounds similar to what you described. The frosting was made with avocados, carob powder, dates, and agave. It was better than regular chocolate frosting (no lie) and I wouldn't have even known it wasn't the standard frosting if someone had just given it to me.

Bryanna Johnson said...

I love your spices picture. So pretty! I love nutrition too, and you're inspiring me to remember to use what I have learned. It's so easy when you have kids to just get lazy. Or at least for me it is!

Lesa said...

I am SOOOOO impressed! You have such a way with your camera and with posing things to look so cool! It all looks so amazingly good!!! Good for you and Mike, I'm proud of you two :)

Robnz Fam said...

We are totally doing this too!! I LOVE IT! We should swap some of our favorite green smoothie recipes! We are learning so much too. I can't believe it has taken me so many years to realize the food we have been putting into our bodies!

have you heard of greensmoothiegirl.com?