Sunday, February 27, 2011

Callings

I haven't had very many callings in my life. After we were married, Mike and I were called to be nursery workers for a short time. When we moved to Japan I was the Sunday school teacher for the English speakers. Upon returning to the States, I was called to be a teacher in the Young Women's organization. Then when we moved to MT, I was called to be the secretary in the Primary. (Primary is the organization of children age 3-11 years old.)

About a year later I was called to be the Primary President. This last calling has been the most challenging yet. (Not sure what a calling is? Click here.) When the Bishop of our ward extended the calling to me about 2 years ago, I was stunned. Didn't he realize I knew nothing about Primary? As a child, I only went to Primary a handful of times. I never "graduated" from Primary before going into the Young Women group. I had no idea how Primary was supposed to work or what I was supposed to do. And I have never considered myself much of a leader. I am the type of person who would rather not be in charge and make executive decisions. I am the type of person who finds it easier to be given an assignment rather than give an assignment to someone else. (cos then I just feel bossy...) And yet, I knew the calling was from God and that if He called me to that position, I would be able to fulfill my duties with His help.

I realized right away that the calling was going to be more for my benefit than the children's. I thought, "what could I possibly have to offer these young kids?" And so far, I truly do believe it has benefited me in many ways. At times it is difficult or stressful, but most of the time I feel blessed to be where I am. It seems like an overwhelming assignment sometimes. After all, I am responsible for what these kids learn at church. Their little minds soak up everything, and that realization has prompted me live my life the best I can so that I can set the proper example for them. I have been compelled to study the gospel more since I am expected to teach it. It has been a blessing for me in that regard. I have come to love the hymns from the Primary Children's Songbook (and have actually learned many of them which we sing in our home regularly.) Through my calling I have learned to delegate and rely on my counselors (which was very hard at first) and especially rely on the Lord. I have learned to have more faith. I have learned how important it is to have the spirit with me so that I can know the needs of each individual child. I know I'm not perfect, but this calling has definitely aided in my spiritual progress. More than anything, the children have been an influence for good in my life. Their innocence and faith inspire me. Those children say and do some of the funniest/cutest things. Some of the kids test my patience, don't get me wrong. :)

But even those experiences have taught me a lot. And isn't that the point of life? To learn, to grow, to gain experience, to serve others, and to make the lives of others better? I pray all the time that I will be able to touch the lives of those kids and help their testimonies of Jesus Christ grow. Because I know that being around them has certainly increased my own testimony. I feel lucky and blessed that Heavenly Father knew what I needed when this specific calling was extended to me. He knew serving with the children would help me. He knew it was something I wasn't familiar with, but that it would be okay because I would have assistance. Callings are given to us for a reason, I have no doubt about that. And I am thankful everyday for the opportunity to serve in the capacity that I have been asked to.

1 comment:

Mike said...

You do a great job!

I know in my case I worry a lot about whether my efforts are good enough in my calling and I think a lot about how I fall short. Cliff reminded me today that what matters most is that we're called because of who we are--inadequacies and all, and by just going out and doing our best we're blessed.