Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Self Discovery 2 part 1

Entry: Faith


Over the course of my reflection last year, I tried to pinpoint some of my talents, or gifts. I’ve always been really down on myself because everything I know how to do, I only do a mediocre job at. For instance, I have a blog dedicated to my arts and crafts, but that doesn’t mean I’m good at arts and crafts. In fact, although I love arts and crafts, I KNOW I’m not GOOD at them. I’ve accepted it. I also like to play sports, but I don’t consider myself an exceptional athlete. I’ve never been the smartest, strongest, prettiest, or –est of anything, really. There’s always someone out there who’s better than me in some way. So last year I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it is I’ve got going for me. Not so I could gloat about it or pump up my ego. This was only for the sake of finding out more about myself (hence the title of these posts.) And then on some random night while Mike and I were talking in bed before drifting off into sleepy land, we got on the topic of religion and such. And to be honest, I don’t really know what brought this up, but I asked Mike if he thought it was weird that I believed the Book of Mormon was true before I even read it. He said no and told me this scripture:


Moroni 10: 8 And again, I exhort you, my brethren, that ye deny not the gifts of God, for they are many; and they come from the same God. And there are different ways that these gifts are administered; but it is the same God who worketh all in all; and they are given by the manifestations of the spirit of God unto men, to profit them. 9 For behold, to one is given by the Spirit of God, that he may teach the word of wisdom; 10 And to another, that he may teach the word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 11 And to another, exceedingly great faith; and to another, the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;


I've thought about that scripture since that night and I believe that perhaps faith is my gift. Maybe I’m not good or the best at playing an instrument, or drawing, or throwing a softball. But I have a spiritual gift. And after ruminating through the past in my head I’ve come to realize that faith really has, in fact, been a defining characteristic of mine.


To be continued….


5 comments:

kenna said...

Having faith as a defining characteristic is not something you see everyday. In fact, it can be few and far between. In a world like ours, in times like these, I have noticed that a deep fear is instilled in many people. Faith begins to run dry as fear intrudes. Being able to say that you a. HAVE faith and b. that it's a DEFINING characteristic is truly something to admire. I especially think it's wonderful that you can see this in yourself. That, in turn, will expand your faith I think.

Then again, what the hell do I know, right? :)

J said...

I feared writing this post thinking it might come across as self-righteous. Thanks for the comment. At least one person doesn't find me completely sanctimonious. Oh, and btw, I think you know more than you give yourself credit for.

Rachel! said...

This was a beautiful self-realization.

Also, your blog needs a time-stamp. Somewhere next to the title of the post it should tell me when it was posted.

Also, also, I think you're the funniest and yummiest.

Rachel! said...

I forgot to mention regarding the blog that I really like your "Bates family" logo/banner at the top. Iz totally kewl.

J said...

Rachel,
Thank my friend Kenna for the new header. I was in need of a change and so she made this for me. Also, I will put a time-stamp on my blog, but JUST for you.