Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Just Thinking

      Right now I’m just watching Vessel play. He’s focusing so hard on one particular toy at the moment. He has the most serious expression on his face and nothing I do can distract him. It’s really cute to watch him concentrate so intensely like that. I can’t believe he’ll be a year old in 2 ½ months. These days he smacks his lips for “kisses,” he waves at people, he cruises around the furniture, he can climb stairs, he attempts to talk, he can curl his tongue to one side, he can feed himself small pieces of food, he’s got 8 teeth now, he expresses a variety of emotions, and he’s so curious about EVERYTHING that it’s hard to keep up with him as he probes around the house.  

For instance, the other day Mike and I were in our room and Vessel decided to go exploring. A couple of minutes later we heard the toilet flush and we looked at each other like, “did our kid do that?” And sure enough he happily found the flusher and the roll of toilet paper. So now we have to keep the bathroom door closed at all times.

     Also, today I decided to bake some bread so I had the pantry door open and the flour and sugar buckets out on the floor. Vessel crawled into the empty space of the cupboard while I was mixing up ingredients. I thought he’d be safe to just investigate in there, but when he grew tired of it, he tried to climb out himself. Unfortunately he fell out onto the linoleum on his head. The poor tyke.
 
     He is about where he should be in every area of development. The only area that seems to be a problem these days is in the sleep department. He still has difficulty sleeping through the night and sometimes wakes up once or twice. He also has a hard time taking a nap for longer than ten or fifteen minutes. Then he fusses and whines for hours afterward because he’s tired. I just wish he’d sleep when he should instead of trying to resist it. And for the past couple of months he’s been waking up at 5:00 in the morning everyday. It doesn’t matter what time we put him to bed at night, he will be up at 5 a.m. sharp, ready to start the day. Hopefully that changes soon because it’s much too early for me. He’s such a morning person. Are all babies like that?
 
     Vessel is a really great kid and overall he’s been pretty easy to take care of, but recently he’s been so demanding, attached, and clingy. He would probably benefit from being in a playgroup around other kids his age. He’d even benefit being around other adults besides me. I don’t want him to be isolated every day. However, I personally don’t need a “play-date.” I don’t need the socialization, but I think Vessel does. He’s become such a momma’s boy. I know that term sort of has a negative connotation, but I don’t mean it like that. It’s actually kind of flattering, but a little exasperating at the same time. Even when Mike gets home from work Vessel will still follow me around, climb on me and basically cling to me. He usually won’t play in a room that I’m not in, and if I leave his sight for even a few seconds he will cry a little bit. I think it’s just the age that he’s at right now. Plus Vessel and I are together all day, so I’m familiar to him. I’m his security. Another reason he’s so attached I think is because he’s got some emotional ties to nursing. I’m still a source of nourishment for him.
But anyway, I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt him to get out more though. 

     Last night I took him out on the lawn to play with some of the other kids in the complex. My friend Robin and her friend Cathy sat down and started talking to me and they offered to watch Vessel for a little bit so Mike and I could go for a ride on the motorcycle. It was a blast. I haven’t been able to go for a ride with Mike for weeks now, and it was a lot of fun. Then Mike drove me up to Sugar House so I could longboard for awhile. Even though I haven’t had the time to go for a few weeks, I had my best run of all time last night. It just comes back to me so naturally. I don’t think Mike realized how important it was for me to get out and ride after being pent up in the house all day. He’s so sweet to drive me up the hill as many times as I want. I’ve got two great boys in my life.

Vessel in the pantry

Right before he toppled out onto his head :(

2 comments:

Unknown said...

willow is having a really clingy period too. and she's also having a hard time sleeping. i think it's just the age. but wow, 8 teeth! she's just barely starting on her top teeth, #3 and 4. both of these things are really surprising to me considering that isaiah had almost all of his teeth by 1 and he never had an ounce of trouble sleeping.

Robnz Fam said...

So when was Vessel up and about for the day for you? Emi sleeps great through the night and then she sleeps ALLL day in between feedings and a little bit of play time. SO if we want to go somewhere in the day time she's so cranky because she missing out on her nap time. Any suggestions or do they just grow out of napping all day???