Monday, August 20, 2007

Betty Flip'm Crocker

     Okay, so I'm not Betty Crocker, Sara Lee, or even Martha Stewart. But I made bread! From scratch no less, and in a loaf pan! Yay! (That's not to say I'm dissing on anyone with a breadmaker, wink wink, nudge nudge, David and Karen*) Well, it's not the first time I've ever done it or anything, it's just been a really long time since I've made it. 

     I know, you're probably saying to yourself  "but Jamie, you don't like to cook/bake." Well, that's true. I may not like it that much, but that doesn't mean I can't do it! Let me just say that a Kitchen Aid mixer is one of the best appliances you could ever invest in. The one we have was my Grandma's until she bought a new one and passed her old one down to us. It comes with a bread hook so you don't have to break your arms and back kneading dough. 

     Now, you'd think massaging dough would be a favorite part of the bread making experience for me, since I consider myself a sensualist and all. But I've got to be honest, I'm not a big fan. When you think of the knots you'd get in your neck and back from repeating the same arduous movements over and over for 8-10 minutes, you'll be thanking your Kitchen Aid mixer for doing the kneading for you. I know I did. 

     Anyhoo, I love homemade bread. Who doesn't? The smell, the taste, the warm spongy texture in your mouth. It's all great. Mike and I decided we're going to make our own bread from now on.  We're even considering getting a wheat grinder too. Man, I feel like a modern day pioneer. Well, except that the pioneers weren't lazy enough to use a Kitchen Aid mixer to knead their bread dough.

No comments: