Thursday, March 12, 2009

What the French, Toast?

I just got done working out with my friend Rachel and thought I'd sit down and type up a post in my sweaty oversized T-shirt before heading upstairs to shower. I'm getting back into an exercise routine again, which I desperately need after the last few months of nothing. Well, I take that back, because at the end of January I was working out consistently 5 days a week for about 3 weeks. Then Rachel got sick one week, and then I got sick the next week, and our work out just hit the back burner for awhile. But we're slowly getting into it again! I'm glad I have a friend to motivate me.
Like I said, I was pretty sick towards the last part of February. Sick. As. A. Dog. It probably started the week before we went to Canada. I was just feeling "off" like something wasn't right. Just really, really tired, achy, and basically not 100% "me." Then while we were in Canada I got sick one night after dinner. During that weekend my illness was pretty controllable for the most part. I didn't feel like I wanted to die at that point at least. But the week after we got back things just spiraled down. On top of the unknown thing I was already dealing with I also got a UTI, which might be TMI for some of you, but whatever. I have no shame. I am prone to getting them....something to do with my Ph level and I realized that I get them more often when I consume a lot of sugar. I guess the sugar overload messes up my Ph level even more and well, if I'm not careful I can get a pretty serious infection. Long story short, the antibiotics I started taking did a number on my system. And they didn't even clear up the infection. I started feeling it in my kidneys and was worried it was going to turn into kidney infection (something I've had before and didn't want to get again, trust me.) The difficult part about finding the right antibiotic is that I'm allergic to several types and so eventually, I went to a new doctor and she was absolutely fantastic and gave me a 3 dose antibiotic that worked wonders. But before that happened I thought I was going to die. Have you ever felt so sick you just wanted to die? Well, I sure did that week. The previous medicine was making me so nauseous and tired and unable to function. Anyway, it's over now and I'm feeling back to normal, whatever "normal" is. At least I'm happier.
I seem to have had my ups and downs recently. For the past few months I was kind of in a "down" mode. But it feels like things are looking up again. Many good things have happened lately and I have a renewed excitement for life. Spring is on it's way and that does wonders for my mood. It's still a bit cold, but the sun is shining and by Tuesday the news says it will be 70 degrees. I can only pray that it lasts. I suffer from SAD (or seasonal affective disorder) and needless to say, it has been a very long winter here. So I am getting charged up for some warmth and sunshine and just being able to get outside more. Daylight savings time kind of messed me up though. Who makes up these things? I mean, I don't mind having more daylight in the summer, but it messes up a person's schedule, ya know? I think it's especially hard when you have a kid because their internal clock tells them it's time to get up or time to sleep at certain times, and when I'm used to putting Vessel down at 1pm for his nap, he probably feels like it's only noon. But I'll stop complaining because hey, it's not dark at 5pm anymore and that's a fabulous thing!
Speaking of Vessel, that kid cracks me up. I can't begin to count all the funny things he says throughout the day. However, he's starting to get a little bossy. He tells me what to do all the time. "Mommy sit down," "Mommy, read a book," "Mommy play Legos," etc., etc. And he throws quite a few tantrums these days. Those times are never fun, but a part of life I guess. I think the one thing that's getting on my nerves is "potty training." I'm starting to lose my patience. He was peeing in the toilet quite regularly for awhile, but for some reason just lost interest in it all together. It seems as though he's regressed and now he NEVER tells me when he needs to go. Even bribes don't work. Lollipops, stickers, big kid underwear....he'll have none of that. He's never wanted to poop in the toilet from the beginning. I don't know if he's scared or just lazy. :) But he WON'T poop in the toilet. I can sit with him in the bathroom all day and he'll hold it. But the second I put on his training pants he'll release it! Drives me MAD! I just feel bad for ever judging other parents for not getting their kid potty trained by a certain time. I've come to realize that parents have very little to do with it. In the end the child will make the decision when they're ready. But like I said, I'm losing patience! Does anyone have advice for this? I can't deny that he's a really good kid though. He actually amazes me with so many of the things he does and says every day. So I shouldn't pressure him with this.... :)
I'm getting more things to do lately, which is good I think. Having stuff to do keeps me from feeling like I'm not being productive. About a week ago I received some news from the bishop. He called me to be the Valiant teacher in Primary. I asked him if he was going to release me as the secretary in the presidency and he said "no" and that he wanted me to do both callings. I accepted the call and now I'm a teacher and the secretary. I suppose it's not too uncommon for people to have more than one calling, especially in a small ward. But I was kind of bummed out at first. I've had teaching callings in the past and I can get pretty nervous in front of a group of people. But after a day of thinking about it I started to feel happy. My new calling will force me to actually study and learn things that I probably wouldn't take the time to do on my own. And I've been telling myself that I want to study the gospel more, so whaddayaknow? Now I will. I've taught my class one time so far and I am astounded by how great the children are and how much they already know. They know stuff about the gospel I didn't know at their age. It's impressive. So anyway, church life is going really well right now.
In other parts of life, things are getting better too. I am finding more time to exercise, read, craft, and write. And I've had time to reflect on my life this past year (as I've mentioned a few posts back.) I've grown a lot even in this past month. I really want to hold on to this good feeling I have because I'm so tired of feeling in a slump!
There was more that I wanted to write, and I've even got some upcoming posts churning in my brain. But for now I should probably go wash the stink off before Mike gets home from work. To think he actually likes a broad who showers. Who knew? :)

4 comments:

Melissa Tupou said...

I am so sorry you have been so sick! That is krap. I know exactly what you mean about the whole SAD thing. Summer has such happier times for me! Don't worry Vessi will do it when he wants, he isn't in school so it isn't a big deal yet, right?:)

The Allred Family said...

Hey Jamus cakes! :) Good to read your update. I didn't know you had SAD. I worked at a tanning salon on college (who knew...I know) and a lot of people came in primarily for that, not to get tan necessarily. Anyway....sorry you've been struggling with you health. Don't you just hate all the antibiotics just being in your system wondering if one day, you won't be able to fight anything off b/c you've taken too much? I feel that way sometimes. Don't worry, Vess will get back into potty training. Ella did that kinds of stuff for about a year. I feel like now that's she's four, she's FINALLY really potty trained where she actually does NOT have accidents and doe not revert any more. It's such a battle. i am dreading training Link. UGH. Anywho...:)

Anonymous said...

I heard a funny comment regarding potty-training.

"Pull-ups are confusing, they say to the child, "It's okay to piss in your pants... some of the time."

Anonymous said...

Hey Jamie! I hope you are feeling better! I am so ready for spring too... it's coming! I hear you with the potty training thing! I had a hard time with Kizz. She is still not night trained. With her I stopped completely at one point and started again 3 weeks later and it worked better. I was getting too frustrated and she just didn't care. I did have to just start putting her in underwear too though, or she would just go in her pullup. We had a few accidents, which are not fun (especially the #2 ones!) but she got it when she was wet and didn't like it! We did a lot of laundry that few weeks though - and thank goodness I don't have much carpet! Anyway - good luck!!

Twila