Sunday, February 8, 2009

A year later....

Last February I wrote this post. This is what it said:

Something happened. I got caught up in the day-to-day. I don’t even know who I am anymore. This reality just hit me like a ton of bricks. I often feel like life becomes a routine and I lose sight of my goals, I lose sight of myself, and I plateau. I think when I hear something over and over again it becomes so ingrained in me that I stop attaching meaning to it. And this is what I need to overcome. I need to find real meaning. I need to center myself and take a deep look at what’s under the skin. What defines me? What drives me, inspires me, motivates me? What am I passionate about, if anything? What are my beliefs and why are they so? What do I value? How strong is my faith? What experiences and ideas have brought me to this point? What am I good at? What do I know to be true without a doubt? These are all questions that need to be answered before I can feel very confident and comfortable with myself. This is going to be a year of reflection and learning. A year of self discovery. And hopefully a process that will allow much growth to come of it. There are some parts of myself that I have tucked away for too long because I was afraid. I want to be more fearless. I want to learn to embrace my quirks and idiosyncrasies instead of hiding them away shamefully. I want to stop relying so heavily on opinions that don’t matter. I want to find out who I really am. I know this sounds crazy, like why shouldn’t I know myself after almost 26 years? But I don’t. I’m determined to figure it out though. So, the quest begins.


It's almost been a year now and I feel like I have actually learned a lot about myself. So I am going to start a series called "Self Discovery" and post things that I have come to understand and know over the past year(s) about me and my life and all that fun stuff. So look forward to that in the next coming days.

4 comments:

Jamie said...

That sounds like a great idea. I think it's smart to reflect and see the progress that we are (or aren't) making.

The Allred Family said...

I definitely look forward to that!

Sheltielady said...

Jamie,

You are quite the thinker. Good for you. We should probably all be doing this.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I really like the idea of this self-discovery journey you have embarked on. I often wonder many of the same things about myself. Usually I go straight to, "What am I supposed to do with my life?" and then slip into a short depression-session. I'm afraid of what the church expects me to do/be and if that is something I feel I can handle. Or, if I even want any of it at all? Many questions unanswered. But looking forward to yours.