Friday, August 12, 2011

Pickled Beets!

My friend Terri and I decided to pickle us some beets last week. Lucky I had her to show me the ropes of canning.

Here is the pot o' beets getting ready to boil.

When we were draining the beets we were surprised at how much they bled out into the water!

After the beets were cooked we had to peel off the skins.

But if you don't wear gloves, they could stain your hands....(photo courtesy of Terri)

Here is the brine: Distilled vinegar, sugar, salt, cinnamon sticks, and cloves (I believe.)

Filling the jars. It wasn't until after our first batch that we realized you really gotta pack 'em in there tight.
(photo courtesy of Terri)

And once the bottles are full of beets and brine you give 'em a good warm water bath for about 40 minutes.
(photo courtesy of Terri)

And hope they seal....

(photo courtesy of Terri)

Now we just have to wait at least 4 weeks to find out if they worked!

No comments: