Sunday, July 25, 2010

Post Pregnancy Update

Jacob is 1 month old today. I feel like the time has gone by fast. Much faster than with Vessel. I had a difficult time adjusting to life as a new mom with him. When Vessel was a newborn I kept wishing his life away. I thought, "if only you were older then I could enjoy you." Regrettably, I didn't savor those newborn moments with Vessel. I know postpartum depression had a lot to do with that. Plus, I had several other things on my plate at the time including full time school and a calling in YW. And then my sister moved in with us and consequently brought all of her problems along with her too (not to mention my mother's death which still loomed over both of us.) Then there was that hypothyroid problem I was diagnosed with. Yeah, only two words to describe that time in my life: NO BUENO.
But things are so good this time around. I haven't had any postpartum depression or problems with my thyroid. My labor and delivery was great and I had a fantastic experience at the hospital. Last time I was admitted to the emergency room a week after delivery because of a uterine infection. But I haven't had any problems at all since Jacob's birth. I feel healthy and fully recovered for the most part. Wow, I can't believe how blessed I am to have everything going so well these days.
Can I just say, I have such a deep love for both of my kids? Jacob is so sweet and mild. I love cuddling with him. He is an amazing little babe. He eats well and sleeps like a dream. I can say this because Vessel NEVER slept through the night until he was over a year old. I blame myself for that. This time I've tried doing the "Babywise" methods and they are working great. When I was pregnant with Vessel I heard about the book "On becoming Babywise" and was told by numerous people that it was awful and basically child abuse. I vowed to steer clear of the book and just parent my child however it felt natural to me. And then while I was pregnant with Jacob I heard a couple of friends praising the book and I decided to read it for myself. So I picked up a copy at the library, and I just have to say that it is far from child abuse. In fact, I think it's a genius book! Jacob has started sleeping 6-8 hours straight through the night. I think a lot of this has to do with me applying the "babywise" techniques from the book. Anyway, having a baby on a good eat/wake/sleep cycle has done wonders for me. I feel way less exhausted this time than I did with Vessel.
Speaking of Vessel, things with him are going super as well. I was worried that when the baby was born he was going to be resentful, mean, and bitter. But he has certainly surprised me. Jacob couldn't ask for a more loving brother. Vessel has never tried to intentionally hurt the baby. He always want to love on him and kiss and hug him and stroke his hair. It's so sweet to watch. He calls Jacob HIS baby. It's nice that he hasn't been lashing out too much. I think having family visit for a couple of weeks helped because Vessel was lavished with attention while Mike and I could focus more on Jacob. Vessel is still just as loving towards me and Mike too. Of course, he has his days. He is a 3 year old after all. :) But he is a good little boy and I feel totally blessed that I get to be his mama. And that kid makes me laugh. He is getting so smart and says some of the funniest things I've ever heard. One of the best parts of having little kids is to hear the things that come out of their mouths. :)
So that is how the post pregnancy is going. I wasn't expecting things to be going as smoothly as they have, but I'm not complaining. If one thing can go right in my life, I'd rather it be with my little family than anything else.

6 comments:

Mike said...

You deserve for things to be going well. Our kids and I are so blessed to have a great mom/wife that loves them as much as you.

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that is going so well!!! And what a sweet comment from your hubby :)

Rebekah said...

This is so good to hear! I'm glad everything is going so well with Jacob and Vessel. They're both dolls. :) And I'm also so glad to hear that you're doing so well. This is excellent, for sure.

The Allred Family said...

Isn't it amazing how expereince with similar things- having a baby- can be polar opposites depending on various things. I had some very similar experience. Terrible recovery (post-partum and infections and all) with Link and I think it made me scared to have a 3rd...thus the gap. Then when I had Quincy it was a breeze. And, as you did, I appreciated the newborn stage sooo much. I would hold him at 4 am and just enjoy that. And I am a HUGE fan of babywise...have used it with all three kids. I think it's kindof abuse to NOT have your kids on a schedule. They need sleep and routine MORE than you do. All of my kids slept through the night VERY early on b/c of the genius book. YEAH!!!!

Robnz Fam said...

I really needed to read that post today! Most of the time, I'm so so very excited for this baby girl to come...then there are times that I panic and think "what have we done?". So thanks for that post! I'm so sorry to hear how hard that was for you the first time around. You deserve this time to be much much smoother for you, and I'm so glad it has been. Jacob is one cute baby boy!! Good job you two ;0)!

Melissa Tupou said...

I felt like once I had my second time traveled in warp speed. I am so happy for you guys!