Friday, September 24, 2010

Shippy and Smiles

Here are some comparisons of my two boys at around the same age



Vessel about 3 months

Jacob about 3 months

Me and Vessel

Me and Jacob

Vessel taking a bath

Jacob taking a bath


The title of this post is Shippy and Smiles, which is what I call my boys. Shippy is Vessel because he was a tanker as a baby (well, and vessel is another word for ship) and Smiles is Jacob because he is the most smiley little guy I've ever known. I don't remember Vessel ever smiling and laughing as much as Jacob does. Jacob laughs and smiles so much I just started calling him "Smiles." We'll see if it sticks.

Here are some super adorable pics of Jacob:





So this is such a random post, but I just wanted to show some pics of our summer projects:

Our backyard, which used to be horrific. I wish I would've taken some before shots. We tore out lots of trees and bushes with an excavator, ripped out a fence, tilled the dirt, made a trail, laid down sod. Phew, it took a long time.

Here is the retaining wall my husband built. He is quite amazing. I think it turned out splendidly.
Here is a picture of our deck. It wasn't this year's project, but I don't know if I ever posted pictures of it. We made a fire-pit in the center so we roast hot-dogs and marshmallows on occasion.
Mike learned a lot of new skills this summer, including how to put tile around the fire-pit.
You can't really see them, but I have some square food gardens in the back. It didn't produce anything this year. I planted a couple tomato plants, but I knew it was too late in the year to get anything from them. Maybe next year....

Now all we need is to build a privacy fence around the backyard and it should be all set. :)

6 comments:

Katie said...

first: yay for an update!!!
second: your boys look quite a bit alike..they are adorable!
third: loving your backyard and the deck w/firepit!

Sheltielady said...

yay finally an update on the blog, thanks for posting.. I love the pics of Shippy and Smiles... :D can't wait to see you all!

Gramma Rose

The Allred Family said...

Thanks for the update! I have missed hearing/reading from you! :) Those pics of the boys are adroable. Veesel's cheeks as a babe...oh my....crackin me up. And the 1st pic of Jacob looks like VEssel NOW. Funny how that happens. They are darling Jam

Rebekah said...

Oh my goodness, Jacob is so cute! You just gotta love a smiley baby. And dude, your backyard looks great! It looks so completely different than when I came out to visit last year.

Anonymous said...

How cute!!!

Gav said...

The yard looks amazing. Seriously. I wouldn't even know where to start building a fire pit on the deck. I like the retaining wall as well. Pretty sweet stuff guys.