Thursday, June 18, 2009

Summer is here!

Unlike the updates I've heard from friends in Utah and Idaho, I think summer has finally decided to come here. But it's going by way too quickly. I want summer to last and it's already mid-June. This year I decided to try growing a few things in pots. Mike wanted to grow an entire garden in the backyard this year, but with my lack of gardening skills, I convinced him that we shouldn't. Honestly, I have such a hard time keeping plants alive it would be a miracle if I could grow a whole garden. In fact, some of my flowers have died since taking these photos! So sad. But maybe next year when I have more confidence we will give it a shot. This year I planted some Marigolds, Hydrangeas, Petunias, and Osteospermums, along with some Vinca and Cordyline. I also planted some cherry tomato plants, a pepper plant, as well as Cilantro, Basil, and Parsley. I think having them in pots gives me more control and a little bit of practice before growing something enormous. Someday we would like to go all out and plant corn, squash, beans, carrots, onions, etc., especially since we have the room. And we definitely want a raspberry patch and some strawberries too. Someday....

Oh, P.S., can I just say that I love mowing the lawn? It has to be my absolute favorite "chore" of all time! I love it. I know that must sound crazy. But I would do yard work every day if it meant I never had to wash dishes or mop the floors again. That includes weeding. Seriously, EVERY DAY!






1 comment:

Karen said...

That is so cool! Lately, Dave and I have been talking about how we want a garden when we buy a house. We tried to keep tomato pants and a pepper on our porch for a while, but it didn't work out so well. I hope you grow lots of delicious things!