Thursday, April 18, 2013

Diets, here we go again

So you know how I had this great idea that people shouldn't go on diets, but rather, eat food for their specific, individual needs?  Well, while I was at the park a couple of weeks ago, I made friends with a woman who told me about DNA testing, where you swab the inside of you mouth and send it into a laboratory to get tested.  Not only are the results supposed to tell you the perfect foods to eat according to your genetic makeup, but they will tell you the perfect exercise for your body type as well.  She mentioned that a friend of hers was a long distance runner for many years, but never seemed to shed the weight he wanted to, despite "eating well".  He did the DNA test and it told him he needed short, powerful bursts of exercise instead of consistent running.  Hmmmmm, this got me really curious.  Then just a few days ago I saw a commercial for one of the many (yes, there are a few out there, and I didn't even realize it!) DNA testing kits you can get mailed to your house.  You swab the inside of your cheek and then mail it back in the confidential envelope and the company will send you your own unique guide to eating and exercising.  
It seems to be more about weight management rather than just being healthy.  I guess being skinny is what most people are after, hence the reasoning behind why it's marketed the way that it is.  Just another scam to get my money, right?  Skinny versus healthy.  That's a post for another day.  Anyway, I do feel like they're on the right track in realizing there isn't a one size fits all diet out there.  

Here are some links I found:

http://www.inherenthealth.com/our-tests/weight-management.aspx?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_content=dnadiettest&utm_campaign=dnawtloss&gclid=CL_0-5yF0LYCFSHhQgodmQUA9g

http://lifegenetics.net/weight-loss-dna-diet/?gclid=COPjgauF0LYCFSjZQgodlkYAmw

1 comment:

Amber said...

I have been wanting to do this too! I have a couple of friends that did something similar, it tested their hormones. I wonder if it's similar? It was a spit test too ;)