Thursday, August 2, 2012

Raspberry Pickin'

 Last week the kids and I, along with a couple of our friends, went berry picking at Rowell Bros. Farm in Hillsboro.  Have I mentioned how much I love Oregon yet?  This berry farm was huge and offered a plethora of berries to choose from.  I was in the market for raspberries, so we got our buckets and headed down the rows until we reached the raspberry patch.  


Picking raspberries brought back so many good memories of picking through my great granny's raspberry patch when I was younger.  It's awesome how the smell and the taste of the berries will always and forever remind me of my granny.  

My boys showing off their buckets.  They had fun picking their own berries.  Jake appreciated when the older kids kindly plopped some of their berries into his bucket.  I saw him sneaking plenty of those berries into his mouth as we walked. 


We got a large bucket of raspberries for $5!  I was amazed that all the berries were only .99/lb.  I got enough berries to freeze 2 quart sized bags for smoothies and homemade milkshakes, a bowl to keep in the fridge for topping yogurt or waffles, and even enough to make a few pints of freezer jam. 

Freezer jam is an easy alternative to making cooked jam.  My granny always made several batches of cooked jam every year.  And as delicious as it was, freezer jam tastes fresher, plus its sooooo much easier.  Here is my helper Vessel mashing some berries for making jam.  

Stirring the sugar and the pectin together.  



Mmmmmm!  Nothing tastes better than homemade jam!

No comments: