Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Maturity and Growth

It's like I just woke up yesterday and realized I was different. But it really wasn't that way. It was a LONG process to get where I am now. I am in no way perfect, or close to it. But I feel good about where I am and the road I'm on. I have grown so much mentally and spiritually these last few years. And I think I've reached a level of maturity I've never experienced before. Is that what defines being an adult? I dunno. I just know I'm not the same person I was 10, 5, or even a year ago. Here are some of the things I'm talking about. You know you've grown when:

Certain things just don't irritate you anymore. Even that snide comment from the gossipy girl in your ward just rolls off your back.

You lose the sense to compete and just start loving who and what you are. You don't really care anymore if someone has a nicer house, car, t.v., hairstyle, wardrobe, etc. than you. You enjoy what you DO have and are thankful for it.

You figure out it's more important to do what you want to do, rather than try to please other people.

At the same time, you let other people live their lives and make their own choices/mistakes.

You follow your heart more and follow the crowd less.

You stop regretting your past mistakes and realize that the past is actually a helpful tool. I've recently come to appreciate the fact that my past experiences (even the really crappy ones) have given me the opportunity to help someone else in a similar situation.

You own up to your mistakes and don't blame your problems on other people. You understand that most of your (un)happiness comes from the choices YOU make.

You judge people less. You recognize there are more ways than just YOUR way to do something. And you give people the benefit of the doubt.

You acknowledge the gifts God gave you.

You realize that in order to heal your heart you have to open your heart. (Yeah, this sounds so cheesy, I know.)

You see your trials as a chance to grow.

You free yourself from the ideology of others and live by your own rules.

You realize you don't have all the answers and you are okay with that.

You forgive more easily and you swallow your pride and seek forgiveness from others.


I feel like I'm doing much better in all of these areas. Like I said before, I know I'm not perfect. I still need lots of work, but it makes me feel happy to know that I am really changing and making improvements
.

3 comments:

Sheltielady said...

great post Jamie... now I will know how to tell if I ever grow up. So far I have a long way to go.

J said...

Trust me, I have a long way to go to. But it's such a cool feeling to say "hey, I'm doing better!" Progress, progress, progress.....

Mike said...

Hey babe, I love reading your posts! I married the greatest broad ever and I love you a ton!